POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New hieght field interpolation method : Re: New hieght field interpolation method Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:27:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New hieght field interpolation method
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Oct 2000 04:11:21
Message: <39F14FA8.6CE74FFD@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
John VanSickle wrote:
[...]
> I have posted some code that demonstrates this method, and an MPG
> animation of it, in p.t.s-f and p.b.a.
>
> So, what do you think?

I just checked it out with a larger array (128x128):

15384 objects
33 Mb memory use
parse: 36 seconds
trace: 11 seconds

compared to conventional heightfield:

290 Kb memory use
parse: 0 seconds
trace: 6 seconds

it seems your construction is incredibly fast in trace, the rest is worse of
course, but anyway it's a very interesting idea.

It's probably very useful if you need a perfectly smooth heightfield surface for
example when it's reflective or when the camera is very near to the surface at
one point.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>